Posts Tagged ‘Israel grossman attorney’

Several Killed In Egypt Amid Clashes Marking Anniversary Of Uprising

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 25 2015

i
i

Protester chant slogans in downtown Cairo, Egypt, on Sunday to mark the fourth anniversary of of the 2011 uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. Several people have been killed in clashes with security forces.

Hassan Mohamed/AP


hide caption

itoggle caption

Hassan Mohamed/AP

Protester chant slogans in downtown Cairo, Egypt, on Sunday to mark the fourth anniversary of of the 2011 uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. Several people have been killed in clashes with security forces.

Protester chant slogans in downtown Cairo, Egypt, on Sunday to mark the fourth anniversary of of the 2011 uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. Several people have been killed in clashes with security forces.

Hassan Mohamed/AP

At least nine people are dead in the Egyptian capital following clashes between police and Islamist protesters marking the fourth anniversary of 2011 uprising that ousted then-President Hosni Mubarak.

The Associated Press said nine people had been killed, but Reuters and ITV News put the figure at 11. Both agencies cited unnamed security officials.

The AP says another 13 people were injured in clashes in the Matariyah area of the capital.

Reuters notes:

“The anniversary is a test of whether Islamists and liberal activists facing one of Egypt’s toughest crackdowns have the resolve to challenge the U.S.-backed government once again.

“Security forces have been stamping out dissent in Egypt since then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi ousted elected president Mohamed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood in July 2013 after mass protests against his rule.”

Article source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/25/379777156/several-killed-in-egypt-amid-clashes-marking-anniversary-of-uprising?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

Ukraine’s President Hopes To Revive Shattered Peace Process

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 25 2015

i
i

Ukraine’s president Petro Poroshenko speaks at a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) of Ukraine on Sunday.

Mykola Lazarenko/ITAR-TASS/Landov


hide caption

itoggle caption

Mykola Lazarenko/ITAR-TASS/Landov

Ukraine's president Petro Poroshenko speaks at a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) of Ukraine on Sunday.

Ukraine’s president Petro Poroshenko speaks at a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) of Ukraine on Sunday.

Mykola Lazarenko/ITAR-TASS/Landov

Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko says he will “calm” fighting between his forces and Russian-backed separatist in the country’s east a day after rocket fire killed 30 people in and around the port city of Mariupol.

Poroshenko, speaking after an emergency meeting of Ukraine’s security council, said reviving a shattered peace deal agreed in September was the only way out of the conflict.

The Ukrainian leader also said that, in case there was any doubt, that intercepted radio transmissions showed conclusively that it was the rebels who attacked government-held Mariupol, hitting an open-air market and a residential area.

The Associated Press notes that “the attack on Mariupol, a strategically situated port city that had been relatively quiet for months, alarmed the West and looked likely further to aggravate relations with Russia.”

President Obama, speaking in New Delhi, said the U.S. was prepared to “ratchet up the pressure on Russia” to get it to stop supporting the separatists.

“We are deeply concerned about the latest break in the ceasefire and the aggression that these separatists — with Russian backing, Russian equipment, Russian financing, Russian training and Russian troops — are conducting,” Obama told a news conference in India.

“I will look at all additional options that are available to us short of military confrontation and try to address this issue. And we will be in close consultation with our international partners, particularly European partners,” he said.

The BBC has a bit of background:

“More than 5,000 people have been killed in fighting since the rebels seized a large swathe of Donetsk and Luhansk regions last April, UN officials say. More than a million people have been displaced.

“Ukraine and the West have accused Russia of arming the rebels and sending its troops into Ukrainian territory.

“Russia has denied directly arming the separatists, and blames Ukraine for the upsurge in fighting.”

Article source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/25/379799918/ukraines-president-hopes-to-revive-shattered-peace-process?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

Got $15 Million? Actor Rowan Atkinson Has A Car For Sale

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 25 2015

i
i

Rowan Atkinson gestures during an interview in 2007. The famous British comedian who plays Mr. Bean is selling his McLaren F1 race car.

Alex Grimm/AP


hide caption

itoggle caption

Alex Grimm/AP

Rowan Atkinson gestures during an interview in 2007. The famous British comedian who plays Mr. Bean is selling his McLaren F1 race car.

Rowan Atkinson gestures during an interview in 2007. The famous British comedian who plays Mr. Bean is selling his McLaren F1 race car.

Alex Grimm/AP

Mr. Bean is selling his car.

No, not the lime green British Leyland Mini that was the prop for so many of the character’s antics. We’re talking about the purple McLaren F1 ‘supercar’ owned by the actor who plays Mr. Bean, Rowan Atkinson. It’s the same car that Atkinson famously wrapped around a tree in 2011.

The 59-year-old Atkinson is selling the vehicle, which can reach 240mph, The Telegraph says. It’s expected to fetch offers of around $15 million.

and is expected to attract offers around the £10 million mark.

Atkinson, who also starred in The Blackadder series, bought the car nearly 20 years ago, “for the quality of the thinking that went into its design,” he tells the Telegraph.

“[Now] it has become a thing of value, it is time for it to be enjoyed by someone else,” he said. It’s also possible that the crash four years ago also may have set Atkinson back a bit: the repair bill was reportedly $1.4 million (luckily the actor himself wasn’t seriously injured). Auto Evolution reports that it took four weeks just to calculate the repair costs and another year to get the work done.

The BBC’s Top Gear called it “a ruddy expensive fix.”

Atkinson, a performance car aficionado and amateur race-car driver, also crashed another cars recently – a 1964 powder-blue Ford Falcon Sprint. It happened last year when a fellow competitor in the Shelby Cup at Goodwood Revival lost control ahead of him and spun off the track. Atkinson was unable to swerve out of the way and hit the car head-on.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/25/379840874/got-15-million-actor-rowan-atkinson-has-a-car-for-sale?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

Ukraine Rebel Leader Claims New Attack On Mariupol

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 24 2015

i
i

Ukrainian servicemen stand guard on a street near a burning building after a shelling by pro-Russian rebels of a residential sector in Mariupol, eastern Ukraine, on Saturday.

Reuters /Landov


hide caption

itoggle caption

Reuters /Landov

Ukrainian servicemen stand guard on a street near a burning building after a shelling by pro-Russian rebels of a residential sector in Mariupol, eastern Ukraine, on Saturday.

Ukrainian servicemen stand guard on a street near a burning building after a shelling by pro-Russian rebels of a residential sector in Mariupol, eastern Ukraine, on Saturday.

Reuters /Landov

Updated at 10:15 a.m. ET

A main leader of Russian-backed rebels in eastern Ukraine reportedly says the separatists have launched an attack on the port city of Mariupol, where rocket fire killed at least 15 people in an open-air market and residential area.

“Today an offensive was launched on Mariupol. This will be the best possible monument to all our dead,” Alexander Zakharchenko was quoted as saying by Russia’s RIA news agency.

The remark comes amid a resumption of intense fighting by the separatists as a five-month cease-fire agreement with Kiev appeared to be all but finished.

The separatists launched rocket attacks on the Ukrainian government-held Sea of Azov port of Mariupol, where 15 people were reportedly killed and 46 injured in an open-air market.

As the AP explains, Mariupol is the main city between mainland Russia and the Russia-annexed Crimean Peninsula.

“Heavy fighting in the region in the autumn raised fears that Russian-backed separatist forces would try to establish a land link between Russia and Crimea.

“Rebel forces have positions within 10 kilometers (six miles) from Mariupol’s eastern outskirts.”

On Friday, Zakharchenko “vowed to push Ukrainian soldiers out of the area and said insurgents would not take part in any more cease-fire talks,” The Associated Press reports.

The rebels on Friday also launched a push to retake the shattered airport in Donetsk, which has become a focal point of fighting in recent months.

The renewed fighting appears to spell the end of a cease-fire agreement reached in September with the help of Belarus.

As The New York Times notes:

“Civilians are being hit by deadly mortars at bus stops. Tanks are rumbling down snowy roads in rebel-held areas with soldiers in unmarked green uniforms sitting on their turrets, waving at bystanders — a disquieting echo of the “little green men” whose appearance in Crimea opened this stubborn conflict in the spring.”

“The renewed fighting has dashed any hopes of reinvigorating [the] cease-fire … It has also put to rest the notion that Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, would be so staggered by the twin blows of Western sanctions and a collapse in oil prices that he would forsake the separatists in order to foster better relations with the West.”

Article source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/24/379553691/heavy-fighting-resumes-in-eastern-ukraine?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

Video Purports To Show Beheaded Japanese Hostage

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 24 2015

i
i

A passerby watches a TV news program reporting two Japanese hostages, Kenji Goto, left, and Haruna Yukawa, held by the Islamic State group, in Tokyo, on Friday.

Eugene Hoshiko/AP


hide caption

itoggle caption

Eugene Hoshiko/AP

A passerby watches a TV news program reporting two Japanese hostages, Kenji Goto, left, and Haruna Yukawa, held by the Islamic State group, in Tokyo, on Friday.

A passerby watches a TV news program reporting two Japanese hostages, Kenji Goto, left, and Haruna Yukawa, held by the Islamic State group, in Tokyo, on Friday.

Eugene Hoshiko/AP

Updated at 3:00 p.m. ET

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called the purported beheading of Japanese hostage by captors of the self-declared Islamic State “outrageous and unacceptable” after a video surfaced showing what appears to be one hostage holding a photo of his decapitated fellow abductee.

“This is an outrageous and unacceptable act of violence,” Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters as he arrived at his office after midnight for an emergency meeting, according to Reuters. “We strongly demand the immediate release.”

The video came to light hours after a Friday deadline for payment of a $200 million ransom passed on Friday.

The video purportedly shows hostage Goto holding a photo of beheaded fellow captive Haruna Yakawa. (The video, not yet confirmed, is graphic. Readers can view it here.)

In it, a still photo of journalist Goto holding the photo is accompanied by an audio voice-over purporting to be Goto: “They no longer want money,” the voice says in halting English of the captors.

“So, you don’t need to worry about funding terrorists. They are just demanding the release of their imprisoned sister, Sajida al-Rishawi,” the voice-over says.

Al-Rishawa is a would-be suicide bomber who reportedly took part in the 2005 Anman bombings but survived when her vest failed to detonate. She was convicted and sentence to death in Jordan in 2006 but is awaiting an appeal.

The kidnappers gave Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe 72 hours to produce the ransom to prevent Goto, 47, and Yakawa, 42, from being executed. That deadline passed on Friday and there has been no confirmed word from the captors.

U.S. National Security Council spokesperson Patrick Ventrell said the intelligence community “is working to confirm [the video's] authenticity,” adding that the U.S. strongly condemns actions of the self-declared Islamic State, or ISIS.

President Obama condemned the murder of Yakawa, saying in a statement: “We stand shoulder to shoulder with our ally Japan.”

“We will work together to bring the perpetrators of these murders to justice and will continue to take decisive action to degrade and ultimately defeat ISIL,” the president said, referring to ISIS.

Earlier, Yasuhide Nakayama, a deputy foreign minister sent to Amman, Jordan, was quoted by The Associated Press as saying he “is working around the clock to coordinate efforts to save the hostages.”

“We will not rule out any possibility, and we are verifying all information thoroughly,” he said, according to the AP. “We will not give up. I believe it is my duty to ensure we will definitely get them back home, and I will do my utmost to do so.”

The Telegraph reports that Abe met Friday with his National Security Council to discuss the crisis as “Japan has scrambled for a way to secure the release of Goto, a journalist, and Yukawa, an adventurer fascinated by war. Japanese diplomats had left Syria as the civil war there escalated, adding to the difficulty of contacting the militants holding the hostages.”

As we reported earlier, the $200 million sum demanded by the kidnappers is equivalent to the amount of money Japan pledged in non-military aid to countries in the region facing threats from the Islamic State militancy.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/24/379587117/japan-vows-to-continue-efforts-to-free-hostages-from-isis?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

First Attempt To Lift AirAsia Fuselage Fails

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 24 2015

i
i

Crew members carry a bag containing the body believed to be a victim of AirAsia Flight 8501 to a waiting helicopter on the deck of Indonesian Navy ship KRI Banda Aceh, on the Java Sea, Indonesia, on Friday.

Natanael Pohan/AP


hide caption

itoggle caption

Natanael Pohan/AP

Crew members carry a bag containing the body believed to be a victim of AirAsia Flight 8501 to a waiting helicopter on the deck of Indonesian Navy ship KRI Banda Aceh, on the Java Sea, Indonesia, on Friday.

Crew members carry a bag containing the body believed to be a victim of AirAsia Flight 8501 to a waiting helicopter on the deck of Indonesian Navy ship KRI Banda Aceh, on the Java Sea, Indonesia, on Friday.

Natanael Pohan/AP

A first attempt to lift the fuselage of the crashed AirAsia Airbus A320 to the surface of the Java Sea failed today, according to officials.

The BBC reports that “ropes around the fuselage snapped.”

According to the BBC:

“[Seven] metres (22ft) from the surface, strong currents and the sharp edges of the emergency door of the aircraft cut the rope connecting the bag to the fuselage.

“Navy Rear Admiral Widodo, who is overseeing the operation from a nearby ship, told the BBC divers had to pad the sharp edges with rubber material and try again. However, strong underwater currents have delayed the second attempt.”

The failed effort set back efforts to recover more bodies from the wreck of AirAsia Flight QZ8501, which went down on Dec. 27 in bad weather with the loss of all 162 aboard.

The Associated Press says four bodies were discovered where divers were working to try to lift the fuselage.

The plane’s flight-data recorder and cockpit voice recorder were recovered last week and a preliminary crash report is expected next week.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/24/379595766/first-attempt-to-lift-airasia-fuselage-fails?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

International Criminal Court To Try Former Child Soldier With War Crimes

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 23 2015

The international criminal court in the Hague was founded to prosecute those who commit war crimes — particularly the crime of abducting and conscripting children as soldiers. But for the first time in that court’s 15 year history, it’s putting on trial a man who was once a victim of that same crime.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/23/379419891/international-criminal-court-to-try-former-child-soldier-with-war-crimes?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

U.S.-Cuba Talks First Step In Long Process Of Restoring Relations

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 23 2015

U.S. diplomats have wrapped up two days of talks with Cuban officials — the highest-level meeting in 35 years. The aim is to start talking through how to restore diplomatic relations following the historic warming of ties announced last month by President Obama and President Raul Castro.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/23/379419870/u-s-cuba-talks-first-step-in-long-process-of-restoring-relations?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

New Generation Of Saudi Royals In Line To Run Country

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 23 2015

For 62 years, Saudi Arabia has been ruled by sons of the founder of the Kingdom, Abdul Aziz. The new king is a part of this generation, as is the crown prince he has named. But eventually the monarchy will have to pass to the next generation, which is made up of thousands of princes. Robert Siegel talks to Middle East specialist Joseph Braude about Saudi succession.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/23/379419884/new-generation-of-saudi-royals-in-line-to-run-country?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world

Prosecutor’s Mysterious Death Grips Argentina

Uncategorized | Posted by Israel Grossman Attorney
Jan 22 2015

Argentina’s President Cristina Fernandez says she believes Alberto Nisman, a prosecutor investigating the 1994 bombing of a Jewish center, was murdered.

Article source: http://www.npr.org/2015/01/22/379157178/prosecutors-mysterious-death-grips-argentina?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=world